Daftar tokoh agnostik
Berikut adalah daftar tokoh yang telah menyatakan diri sebagai seorang agnostik. Daftar ini juga meliputi mereka yang menyatakan ketidaktahuannya mengenai keberadaan Tuhan.
- Jorge Luis Borges (1899–1986), penulis Argentina
- Henry Cadbury (1883–1974), ahli kitab suci dan Quaker
- Bart D. Ehrman, ahli perjanjian baru dan "agnostik yang bahagia".
- Frederick James Furnivall, (1825–1910), penyunting kedua Oxford English Dictionary.
- A.J. Jacobs, (lahir 1968), pengarang Amerika Serikat.
- H. L. Mencken (1880–1956), jurnalis, satiris, kritikus sosial, dan pemikir bebas.
- Charles Templeton, (1915–2001) mantan evangelis, pengarang A Farewell to God.
- Mark Twain: novelis yang terkenal akan karyanya Adventures of Huckleberry Finn dan The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Twain has also been identified a deist.
- Ibn Warraq, dikenal akan kritiknya terhadap Islam.
- Robert Anton Wilson. (1932–2007), pengarang.
- David Yallop, pengarang Britania Raya.
- Aelke Mariska, aktris Indonesia
- David Bazan (lahir 1976–): penyanyi, penulis lagu, musisi AS
- Tom Bergeron (lahir 1955–): terkenal sebagai pembawa acara America's Funniest Home Videos, Hollywood Squares and Dancing with the Stars.
- Gael García Bernal (lahir 1978-) aktor dan sutradara Meksiko
- Rose Byrne (1979–): aktris Australia
- Zac Efron (lahir 1987-) aktor, bintang film seperti High School Musical dan 17 Again.
- Carrie Fisher, aktris, novelis AS.
- Emilia Fox (lahir 1974–): aktris Inggris
- Matt Groening, (lahir 1954-), pembuat serial televisi The Simpsons, Futurama, dan komik Life in Hell.
- John Humphrys (lahir 1943–): presenter televisi dan radio Britania Raya yang menjadi pembawa acara program yang mewawancarai pemuka-pemuka agama, Humphrys in Search of God.
- Larry King (lahir 1933-), pembawa acara Larry King Live.
- Annie Lennox (lahir 1954–), artis Skotlandia
- Janez Lapajne (lahir 1967-), sutradara Slovenia.
- Emcee Lynx (lahir 1980-), musisi hip hop yang menyatakan dirinya sebagai panteis, agnostik, atau ateis.
- Bill Maher (lahir 1956), pelawan dan komentator politik AS.
- Dave Matthews (lahir 1967-), musisi dan aktor AS.
- Conor Oberst (lahir 1980-), penulis lagu dan penyanyi AS.
- Neil Peart (lahir 1952-), pemain drum dan penulis lirik grup musik rock Kanada, Rush.
- Sean Penn (lahir 1960-), aktor AS.
- Brad Pitt (lahir 1963-), aktor Amerika Serikat.
- Andy Rooney, (lahir 1919-)
- Adrienne Shelly (1966–2006), aktor dan sutradara AS.
- Sting (1951–): musisi Inggris.
- Matt Stone (lahir 1971-), salah satu pencipta kartun South Park.
- Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872—1958): komponis Britania.
- Fred Edwords (1948–) aktivis humanis, saat ini menjadi kepala United Coalition of Reason.
- Karl R. Popper, filsuf ilmu pengetahuan.
- Protagoras, (meninggal 420 SM), sofis dan humanis Yunani, yang menulis bahwa keberadaan Tuhan tidak dapat diketahui.
- Bertrand Russell, (1872–1970), filsuf dan matematikawan Inggris.
- Michael Schmidt-Salomon (1967–): filsuf Jerman, pengarang dan mantan penyunting MIZ (Contemporary Materials and Information: Political magazine for atheists and the irreligious).
- Anthony Kenny (1931–), kepala Royal Institute of Philosophy.
- James Hall (1933–), professor emeritus di Universitas Richmond.
Politik dan hukumSunting
- Clement Attlee (1883–1967) politikus dan perdana menteri Britania Raya dari tahun 1945 hingga 1951.
- Michelle Bachelet (lahir 1951) politikus dan presiden Chile dari tahun 2006 hingga 2010.
- Helen Clark (lahir 1950) politikus dan perdana menteri Selandia Baru dari tahun 1999 hingga 2008.
- John Key (lahir 1961) politikus dan perdana menteri Selandia Baru semenjak 2008.
- Wim Kok (lahir 1938) politikus dan perdana menteri Belanda dari tahun 1994 hingga 2002.
- Clarence Darrow (1857–1938), pengacara AS yang melindungi hak John T. Scopes untuk mengajarkan teori evolusi Darwin dalam kasus Tennessee "Monkey Trial".
- Willem Drees (1886–1988) politikus dan perdana menteri Belanda dari tahun 1973 hingga 1977.
- Heinz Fischer (lahir 1938) politikus dan presiden Austria semenjak tahun 2004.
- Carlos Gaviria Díaz (lahir 1937) politikus Kolombia.
- Bob Hawke (lahir 1929) perdana menteri Australia dari tahun 1983 hingga 1991.
- Robert G. Ingersoll (1833–1899), pemimpin politik dan orator AS.
- Ivo Josipović (lahir 1957) politikus, komponis, dan presiden Kroasia dari tahun 2010 .
- Esther Ouwehand (lahir 1976) politikus Belanda.
- Bruno Kreisky (1911–1990) Kanselir Federal Austria dari tahun 1970 hingga 1983.
- Ricardo Lagos (lahir 1938) agnostik pertama yang menjadi presiden Chile.
- Mariëtte Hamer (lahir 1958) politikus Belanda.
- Boris van der Ham (lahir 1973) politikus Belanda.
- Jan Marijnissen (lahir 1952) politikus Belanda.
- George Lincoln Rockwell (1918–1967), pendiri Partai Nazi Amerika.
- Gerdi Verbeet (lahir 1951) politikus dan kepala Dewan Perwakilan Belanda semenjak tahun 2006.
- Gough Whitlam (lahir 1916) Perdana Menteri Australia, 1972–1975.
- Joop den Uyl (1919–1987) politikus dan perdana menteri Belanda dari tahun 1973 hingga 1977.
- José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero (lahir 1960), perdana menteri Spanyol.
- Gerrit Zalm (lahir 1952) politikus dan wakil perdana menteri Belanda dari tahun 2003 hingga 2007.
- Jawaharlal Nehru (1889–1964) pejuang kemerdekaan dan perdana menteri pertama India dari tahun 1947 hingga 1964.
- Siddaramaiah (lahir 1948) mantan wakil menteri kepala Karnataka
Ilmu pengetahuan dan teknologiSunting
- Sir David Attenborough (1926-) - presenter sejarah alam dan antropolog Inggris.
- Francis Crick (1916–2004), salah satu penemu struktur DNA.
- Marie Curie (1867–1934): ahli fisika dan kimia Polandia-Prancis, perintis dalam bidang radiologi.
- Charles Darwin, (1809–1882), pengagas teori evolusi.
- Émile Durkheim (1858–1917), sosiolog Prancis.
- Albert Einstein (1879–1955), fisikawan kelahiran Jerman yang dikenal akan teori relativitas dan rumus .
- Milton Friedman, (1912–2006), ekonom AS yang meraih Hadiah Nobel dalam bidang ekonomi.
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941–2002), paleontolog, biolog evolusioner, dan sejarawan ilmu pengetahuan AS.
- Thomas Henry Huxley, (1825–1895), biolog Inggris dan pencetus istilah "agnostisisme".
- Ludwig von Mises, (1881–1973) ekonom dan filsuf Austria.
- Sherwin B. Nuland (lahir 1930), ahli bedah AS dan pengarang How We Die.
- Paul Nurse (lahir 1949), penerima Nobel dalam bidang fisiologi atau kedokteran pada tahun 2001.
- George Olah (lahir 1927), peraih Nobel dalam bidang kimia pada tahun 1994, penemu superasam,
- Carl Sagan, (1934–1996), astronom AS.
- Peter Schuster (1941—), Professor Kimia Teoretis di Universitas Wina.
- Steve Wozniak (1950—): salah satu pendiri Apple Computer dan penemu Apple I dan Apple II.
- ^ I. Shenker (1971-04-06). "Borges, a Blind Writer With Insight". New York Times.
- ^ Henry Cadbury, "My Personal Religion", republished on the Quaker Universalist Fellowship website.
- ^ "Q&A: Bart Ehrman: Misquoting Jesus". Diakses tanggal 2007-05-31.[pranala nonaktif]
- ^ V.Bernet (2008-04-23). "Agnostic's questions have biblical answers". Kansas City Star.
In the church of his youth in Lawrence, Kansas, with nearly every pew at capacity last week, Bart D. Ehrman, chairman of the department of religious studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, announced that he was an agnostic. He joked that atheists think agnostics are wimpy atheists and that agnostics think atheists are arrogant agnostics.
- ^ S.Winchester (2003). The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. ISBN ISBN 0-19-860702-4 Periksa nilai: invalid character
[...] Furnivall was a deeply committed socialist and (until his later agnosticism set in), a somewhat enthusiastic Christian [...]
- ^ During an interview on his book The Year of Living Biblically with George Stroumboulopoulos on the CBC Program 'The Hour' Jacobs states "I'm still an agnostic, I don't know whether there's a god."
- ^ "When asked what he would do if on his death he found himself facing the twelve apostles, the agnostic Mencken answered, "I would simply say, 'Gentlemen, I was mistaken.'"" American Experience; Monkey Trial; People & Events: The Jazz Age, PBS Online, 1999-2001. Retrieved 28 July 2007.
- ^ CBC News reports that Templeton "eventually abandoned the pulpit and became an agnostic." Journalist, evangelist Charles Templeton dies
- ^ "In one of our walks about Hartford, when he was in the first fine flush of his agnosticism, he declared that Christianity had done nothing to improve morals and conditions..." William Dean Howells, My Mark Twain .
- ^ "William Dean Howells and Mark Twain had much in common. They were agnostic but compassionate of the plight of man in an indifferent world..." Darrel Abel (2002), Classic Authors of the Gilded Age, iUniverse, ISBN 0-595-23497-6
- ^ "At the most, Mark Twain was a mild agnostic, usually he seems to have been an amused Deist. Yet, at this late date his own daughter has refused to allow his comments on religion to be published." Kenneth Rexroth, "Humor in a Tough Age;" The Nation, March 7, 1959. 
- ^ "Warraq, 60, describes himself now as an agnostic..." Dissident voices, World Magazine, June 16, 2007, Vol. 22, No. 22.
- ^ Wilson explains that he is agnostic about everything in the preface to his book Cosmic Trigger.
- ^ The Herald, "Why did this "saint" fail to act on sinners within his flock?", Anne Simpson, May 26, 2007
- ^ Faces of the New Atheism: The Scribe, by Nicholas Thompson, Wired Magazine, Issue 14.11, November 2006 (Diakses 30 November 2006).
- ^ "Papi Buddha, kakak ada yang Katolik dan Muslim, sementara saya dan mami agnostik". Desember 6, 2012.
- ^ Interview with Penn Jillette in which he mentions his agnosticism.
- ^ INTERVIEW: Padre, Padre: Mexico's Native Son Gael Garcia Bernal Stars in the Controversial "The Crime of Father Amaro"
- ^ "Actress Rose Byrne on ‘Knowing’ Religion & the End of the World" in BBook.com:  "Yeah, I'd say I'm agnostic".
- ^ Zac Efron & Nikki Blonsky's Secret Off Screen Romance? By Tina Sims, The National Ledger, August 1, 2007 (Retrieved 25 March 2008)
- ^ "I was raised agnostic, so we never practiced religion..." "Zac Efron - the new American hearthrob", Strauss, Neil Rolling Stone, August 23, 2007, hal. 43.
- ^ Smith, Warren Allen (October 25, 2000). Who's Who in Hell. Barricade Books. ISBN 1-56980-158-4.
I would describe myself as an enthusiastic agnostic who would be happy to be shown that there is a God.
- ^ In response to the question "Do you believe in God?", Fox said "I would love to, but I wonder sometimes what he believes in. Religion seems to have been created by man to help and guide humankind. I've no idea, really.""Analyse this: Inside the mind of actress Emilia Fox". iconocast.com.
- ^ See "Sidelines" section of Free Inquiry magazine, Volume 19, Number 3, which references a quote from New York Times Magazine, 12-27-98.
- ^ "He [Humphrys] went looking for God and ended up an angry agnostic – unable to believe but enraged by the arrogance of militant atheists." In God we doubt, John Humphrys The Sunday Times, September 2, 2007 (Diakses 1 April 2008)
- ^ "When we got married, I said, 'Look, since I'm agnostic, I have no right to tell you not to teach them what you believe. But give them an opening.' So if they ever ask me, I'd tell them the same thing I'm telling you: 'I don't buy that God, I don't know if there's an afterlife.' Pogrebin, Abigail (2005). Stars of David: Prominent Jews Talk About Being Jewish. New York: Broadway. hlm. 318–322. ISBN 978-0-7679-1612-7.
- ^ Lennox, Annie (December 18, 2010). "Annie Lennox on the Secret History of Christmas Songs". The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones. Diakses tanggal December 24, 2010.
- ^ I. Harb and M. Košir (2009-11-20). "Slovenci niso pobijali tjulnjev, ampak sami sebe (interview with Janez Lapajne)". Delo - priloga Vikend - Lapajne said: "Najprej, ne želim pripadati nobeni ideološki skupini, kar je za agnostika verjetno razumljivo.".
- ^ "The closest word I’ve found to describe [my] belief system is Pantheism, but I could also call myself an agnostic (because I don’t claim to know if my own conception of divinity is ultimately true) or an atheist (because I believe that religions based around personified deities are definitely not true)." — The Universe According to Lynx (June 30, 2007), Soundtrack for Insurrection, circlealpha.com. Retrieved October 21, 2007.
- ^ Maher said "I'm not convinced that God exists. But I do allow the possibility. I'm not an atheist. I'm open... My view on spirituality is I don't know. I never will as long as I'm alive. So why waste time dwelling on something I can never know?" See Transcript from Larry King Live - August 11, 2005.
- ^ "'It would be safe to say that I'm agnostic,' Matthews says. 'However, I do feel as though we owe a faith to the world and to ourselves. We owe a grace and gratitude to things that have brought us here. But I think it's very ignorant to say, 'Well, for everything, God has a plan.' That's like an excuse. ... Maybe the real faithful act is to commit to something, to take action, as opposed to saying, 'Well, everything is in the hand of God.'" See Boston Globe Article 'Dave Matthews Gets Serious - and Playful' by Steve Morse (March 4, 2001)
- ^ Oberst said: "If I’m forced to categorize myself I guess I’d say I was an agnostic." Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes: Bright Ideas, by A. D. Amorosi, Harp magazine, May 2007. (Retrieved 15 October 2007)
- ^ "I'm a linear thinking agnostic, but not an atheist folks." Peart, Neil (1996). The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa. ISBN 1-55022-667-3.
- ^ "BILD: Do you believe in God? Brad Pitt (smiling): 'No, no, no!' BILD: Is your soul spiritual? Brad Pitt: 'No, no, no! I’m probably 20 per cent atheist and 80 per cent agnostic. I don’t think anyone really knows. You'll either find out or not when you get there, until then there's no point thinking about it.'" Brad Pitt interview: "With six kids each morning it is about surviving!" By Norbert Körzdörfer, Bild.com, 23 July 2009
- ^ Rooney wrote: "I call myself an agnostic, not an atheist, because in one sense atheists are like Christians or Muslims. They’re sure of themselves. A Christian says with certainty, there is a god; an atheist says with certainty, there is no god. Neither knows" Sincerely, Andy Rooney (2001), Public Affairs ISBN 1-58648-045-6
- ^ Rooney said: "Why am I an atheist? I ask you: Why is anybody not an atheist? Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated. I resent anyone pushing their religion on me. I don't push my atheism on anybody else. Live and let live. Not many people practice that when it comes to religion." Marian Christy, "Conversations: We make our own destiny", Boston Globe, 30 May 1982 (from Newsbank).
- ^ Rooney said: "I am an atheist... I don't understand religion at all. I'm sure I'll offend a lot of people by saying this, but I think it's all nonsense." From a speech at Tufts University, 18 November 2004.
- ^ Adrienne Shelly said: "I'm an optimistic agnostic. I'd like to believe." Rhys, Tim (August 1996), Suddenly Adrienne Shelly, MovieMaker Magazine. Diakses pada 12 Februari 2007.
- ^ "I am an agnostic and I was interested in reading the pre-Christian idea that winter is more about regeneration than salvation. I stayed away from that triumphal, 'God is in his heaven, isn't everything wonderful?' kind of thing."
- ^ Stone said "...I'm Jewish simply because... my mom is Jewish... but... I grew up completely secular and completely agnostic... I am the worst Jew in the world. I know nothing about the religion. I'm completely agnostic (my poor mother)." 'South Park' Creator Matt Stone on Fighting Terrorism on NPR's program Fresh Air, 14 October 2004, (quote begins at 15:05, ends at 16:00)
- ^ When asked if there was a God, Stone answered "No." Is there a God?, by Stephen Thompson, The Onion A.V. Club, October 9, 2002
- ^ "Here we have a man who, while at Cambridge, was 'a most determined atheist'--those were the words of his fellow-undergraduate Bertrand Russell--and who was dismissed at the age of 25 from his post as organist in a church at South Lambeth because he refused to take Communion. Later, according to his widow, he 'drifted into a cheerful agnosticism'." The Unknown Vaughan Williams, Michael Kennedy, Proceedings of the Royal Musical Association, Vol. 99. (1972–1973), hal. 31-41.
- ^ "Frederick Edwords, Executive Director of the American Humanist Association, who labels himself an agnostic..." Atheism 101, by William B. Lindley, Truth Seeker Volume 121 (1994) No. 2, (Diakses 14 April 2008)
- ^ "Referring to himself as an agnostic and an advocate of critical realism, Popper gained an early reputation as the chief exponent of the principle of falsification rather than verification." Karl Popper: philosopher of critical realism, by Joe Barnhart, The Humanist magazine, July–August 1996. (Diakses 13 October 2006)
- ^ Only fragments of Protagoras' treatise On the Gods survive, but it opens with the sentence: "Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not or of what sort they may be. Many things prevent knowledge including the obscurity of the subject and the brevity of human life."
- ^ Russell said: "As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist... None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of Homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof. Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line." Am I an Agnostic or an Atheist?, from Last Philosophical Testament 1943–1968, (1997) Routledge ISBN 0-415-09409-7. Russell was chosen by LOOK magazine to speak for agnostics in their well-known series explaining the religions of the U.S., and authored the essay "What Is An Agnostic?" which appeared November 3, 1953 in that magazine.
- ^ MIZ title in German: Materialien und Informationen zur Zeit (MIZ) (Untertitel: Politisches Magazin für Konfessionslose und AtheistInnen)
- ^ "Like many other so-called "Atheists" I am also not a pure atheist, but actually an agnostic..." Life without God: A decision for the people (Automatic Google translation of the original, hosted at Schmidt-Salomon's website), by Michael Schmidt-Salomon 19 November 1996, first published in: Education and Criticism: Journal of Humanistic Philosophy and Free Thinking January 1997 (Diakses 1 April 2008)
- ^ Kenny, Anthony (2006). "Why I'm not an atheist". What I Believe. Continuum. ISBN 0-8264-8971-0.
- ^ James Hall. Philosophy of Religion: Lecture 3 (DVD). The Teaching Company.
- ^ Jerry H. Brookshire: Clement Attlee. Manchester University Press, 1995. hal. 10; 15; 35.
- ^ Bachelet said "I am a woman, socialist, separated and agnostic." See Newsweek article An Unlikely Pioneer.
- ^ Do you believe in him now, Helen?
- ^ Agenda
- ^ Holland: Tolerance fuels social experiment the Dutch way - Cover Story - Statistical Data Included
- ^ Darrow wrote "I am an agnostic as to the question of God." See Why I Am An Agnostic.
- ^ (Belanda) Agnosticisme of atheïsme
- ^ Wiener Zeitung, published July 8, 2004 (German). "The agnostic Fischer is married for 35 years with Margit." (Translation by PROMT Online Translator).
- ^ The scream is not a vehicle of ideas (In Spanish. See also: English translation by PROMT Online Translator. Diakses 13 October 2006.)
- ^ Blanche d'Alpuget, Robert J. Hawke, 87
- ^ Ingersoll said that "It seems to me that the man who knows the limitations of the mind, who gives the proper value to human testimony, is necessarily an Agnostic." Why Am I Agnostic?, Robert Green Ingersoll, 1889. See also Ingersoll's complete works, which includes many speeches and writings on religion and agnosticism.
- ^ Josipović said "Yes, it is true, I am declared agnostic." See Slobodna Dalmacija article in croatian language.
- ^ http://www.150volksvertegenwoordigers.nl/?do=profile&mid=106
- ^ Rolf Steininger, Günther Bischof, Michael Gehler: Austria in the Twentieth Century. Transaction Publishers, New Brunswick, 2002; hal. 270
- ^ Chile Moves On, Mark Falcoff, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, April 1, 2000.
- ^ http://www.150volksvertegenwoordigers.nl/?do=profile&mid=65
- ^ http://www.150volksvertegenwoordigers.nl/?do=profile&mid=64
- ^ http://www.150vv.nl/?do=profile&mid=98
- ^ Rockwell wrote in his autobiography "I am an agnostic, which means that to all proposals and explanations of the mysteries of life and eternity, I say, 'I do not know and I don't believe you or any other human does either.'" This Time the World, chapter 3, George Lincoln Rockwell, ISBN 1-59364-014-5
- ^ http://www.amsterdam.pvda.nl/nieuwsbericht/5187
- ^ "The country's Left-leaning Prime Minister, a self-declared agnostic, became a bête noire of the Catholic Church during his first term in office by legalising same-sex marriage, introducing fast-track divorce and allowing embryonic stem-cell research." 
- ^ http://www.netwerk.tv/node/4505
- ^ http://news.google.co.in/newspapers?id=LZotAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jp4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=7168,1579610
- ^ Guha, Ramachandra. "LEADER ARTICLE
Inter-faith Harmony: Where Nehru and Gandhi Meet". The Times Of India.
- ^ flashnewstoday.com/.../siddaramiah-claims-cm-suffering-from-political-depression/
- ^ Interview with Simon Mayo, BBC Radio Five Live, 2 December 2005.
- ^ Francis Crick, What Mad Pursuit: a Personal View of Scientific Discovery, Basic Books reprint edition, 1990, ISBN 0-465-09138-5, hal. 145.
- ^ Reid, Robert William (1974). Marie Curie. London: Collins. hlm. 19. ISBN 0-00-211539-5.
Unusually at such an early age, she became what T. H. Huxley had just invented a word for: agnostic.
- ^ Darwin wrote: "my judgment often fluctuates... In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an Atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God. I think that generally (and more and more as I grow older), but not always, that an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind." The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Ch. VIII, hal. 274. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1905. See Charles Darwin's views on religion
- ^ On Durkheim, Larry R. Ridener, referencing a book by Lewis A. Coser, wrote: "Shortly after his traditional Jewish confirmation at the age of thirteen, Durkheim, under the influence of a Catholic woman teacher, had a shortlived mystical experience that led to an interest in Catholicism. But soon afterwards he turned away from all religious involvement, though emphatically not from interest in religious phenomena, and became an agnostic." See Ridener's page on famous dead sociologists. See also Coser's book: Masters of Sociological Thought: Ideas in Historical and Social Context, 2nd Ed., Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., 1977: 143-144
- ^ "My position concerning God is that of an agnostic." Albert Einstein in a letter to M. Berkowitz, October 25, 1950; Einstein Archive 59-215; from Alice Calaprice, ed., The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, 2000, hal. 216. As quoted at stephenjaygould.org (Diakses 20 Juni 2007)
- ^ In correspondence with conservative Christian commentator John Lofton, Milton Friedman wrote: "I am an agnostic. I do not ‘believe in’ God, but I am not an atheist, because I believe the statement, ‘There is a god’ does not admit of being either confirmed or rejected." An Exchange: My Correspondence With Milton Friedman About God, Economics, Evolution And "Values", by John Lofton, The American View, October–December 2006, (Diakses 12 Januari 2007)
- ^ "...I certainly felt bemused by the anomaly of my role as a Jewish agnostic, trying to reassure a group of Catholic priests that evolution remained both true and entirely consistent with religious belief." Nonoverlapping Magisteria, by Stephen Jay Gould, Natural History 106 (March 1997): 16-22; Reprinted from Leonardo's Mountain of Clams and the Diet of Worms, New York: Harmony Books, 1998, hal. 269-283.
- ^ "Every variety of philosophical and theological opinion was represented there, and expressed itself with entire openness; most of my colleagues were ists of one sort or another; and, however kind and friendly they might be, I, the man without a rag of a label to cover himself with, could not fail to have some of the uneasy feelings which must have beset the historical fox when, after leaving the trap in which his tail remained, he presented himself to his normally elongated companions. So I took thought, and invented what I conceived to be the appropriate title of agnostic.'" Part 2 - Agnosticism, by T.H. Huxley, from Christianity and Agnosticism: A Controversy, New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1889. Hosted at the Secular Web. (Diakses 5 April 2008)
- ^ Erik Ritter von Kuehnelt-Leddihn: The Cultural Background of Ludwig von Mises http://mises.org/pdf/asc/essays/kuehneltLeddihn.pdf
- ^ Morris, Edward (2003). "Finding the father inside". BookPage. Diakses tanggal 2007-06-11.
- ^ "I gradually slipped away from religion over several years and became an atheist or to be more philosophically correct, a sceptical agnostic." Nurse's autobiography at Nobelprize.org
- ^ "Today, I consider myself, in Thomas Huxley's terms, an agnostic. I don’t know whether there is a God or creator, or whatever we may call a higher intelligence or being. I don’t know whether there is an ultimate reason for our being or whether there is anything beyond material phenomena. I may doubt these things as a scientist, as we cannot prove them scientifically, but at the same time we also cannot falsify (disprove) them. For the same reasons, I cannot deny God with certainty, which would make me an atheist. This is a conclusion reached by many scientists." George Olah, A Life of Magic Chemistry
- ^ "Famed scientist Carl Sagan was also a renowned sceptic and agnostic who during his life refused to believe in anything unless there was physical evidence to support it." "Unbeliever's Quest" oleh Jerry Adler, dalam Newsweek, 31 Maret 1997. Excerpt Diakses 2 November 2007.
- ^ Schuster, Peter. "Interview with Peter Schuster". National Catholic Reporter. Diarsipkan dari versi asli tanggal 2008-04-05. Diakses tanggal 2008-04-25.
... I was a Catholic, but I no longer consider myself one. I suppose I am agnostic. Let's put it his way -- I have difficulties with the idea of a personal God. I don’t have trouble with God as creator of the world as a whole.
- ^ Wozniak, steven. "Letters-General Questions Answered". woz.org. Diakses tanggal 2007-09-26.
... I am also atheist or agnostic (I don't even know the difference). I've never been to church and prefer to think for myself. I do believe that religions stand for good things, and that if you make irrational sacrifices for a religion, then everyone can tell that your religion is important to you and can trust that your most important inner faiths are strong.
- ^ Krakauer, Jon Where Men Win Glory, Doubleday, 2009, p 116, 314. "Tillman was an agnostic, perhaps even an atheist".